The blog design will be under construction for the next few days! :)

Friday, January 28, 2011

Review: Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O' Connor


Flannery O'Connor was working on Everything That Rises Must Converge at the time of her death. This collection is an exquisite legacy from a genius of the American short story, in which she scrutinizes territory familiar to her readers: race, faith, and morality. The stories encompass the comic and the tragic, the beautiful and the grotesque; each carries her highly individual stamp and could have been written by no one else.

I read this book after seeing it on the television show LOST. A few stories stuck out to me (A View Of The Woods, The Comforts Of Home and The Lame Shall Enter First) but the rest left me somewhat empty. In each story I felt I knew what was coming and it left things tasting a bit stale. I am still interested in checking out some more of Flannery's work; perhaps this particular collection just wasn't for me.

Rating: 2.5/5 + 4815162342 bonus points for holding Jacob’s attention because he’s quite a busy man + 50 bonus points for the quote “I wouldn’t milk a cow to save your soul from Hell.” Total: LOST.

No comments:

Post a Comment