The blog design will be under construction for the next few days! :)

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen—with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?

Note: This review is of an arc that I received for free from the publisher. This in no way shaped or changed my opinion of the book.

I enjoyed this one and read the bulk of it in one sitting. What initially drew me to the book was the cover art. I really like the symbolism of the little girl covering her eyes, most of us do it when afraid, but for the heroine of the story it is something she must live with every day as a blind person. Cheyenne does find herself in a terrifying situation, she is kidnapped and held captive by four men, but she has no need to cover her eyes. An accident has caused her to lose her sight. She must rely on her intelligence and her other senses in order to make it out alive. I think this is a very gripping young adult novel and young people will find a character they can relate to in Cheyenne Wilder. While I didn't find this to be a life changing novel myself (in my opinion - the book is probably best for its intended audience of teenage readers and doesn't really cross YA lines as some YA books can) it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things that I didn't know about blind people and I think it is a worthy read (for anyone) for this fact alone.


Cover Art: 4/5

Characters: 3/5

Story: 3/5

Writing: 3/5

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this! I just picked up Stolen by Lucy Christopher and I want to read and compare them. I have to say that this one sounds more appealing to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this book is enough to catch my attention, but I also like the cover. I don't know if I'll read it anytime soon, but it's a book I'll keep an eye out for.

    ReplyDelete